#8 Session 2 ABC's

Session 2: The Meaning of the Event

Practice Assignment:

Please complete the A-B-C Worksheets to become aware of the connection among events, your thoughts, feelings, and behavior. Complete at least one worksheet each day. Remember to fill out the form as soon after an event as possible. Complete at least one worksheet about the worst traumatic event. 

Also, please use the Identifying Emotions Handout to help you determine what emotions you are feeling.

ABC Worksheets will be used throughout all 12 therapy sessions.  They are based off the Stuck Points realized in Session 1.


What the ABC paper should look like:




#1:

A: I looked attractive enough at 13 to a high school senior for him to molest me.

B: I don't want to look, or try to look, attractive.

C: I am scared.                                                

1) No. If I had enough money I'd have laser hair removal, spider vein removal, and a boob job.
2) Maybe it didn't matter to him whether I was attractive or unattractive.

________________________________________________________________________


#2:

A: I was confined on a couch, with a blanket on top of me, and an 18 year old boy on top of me.

B: I don't want adults to touch me.  Not even family.  Not even in a friendly way.  I only like to shake hands, instead of hug, even family.

C: I am fearful.

1) At this point in my life, yes.  I can hug and squeeze next to children, but I HATE hugging adults, even family.  I am in constant fear of being hugged, even by my husband.  I, realistically, would love not to clench up my entire body when someone hugs me.
2) These people who are trying to hug me only want to show they care about me.  They do not want to hurt me.  They won't hurt me.  My body will not be violated by hugging.

__________________________________________________________________________

#3:

A: I was violated, touched without pleasure to myself, when I was 13.

B: I don't want to have sex or be touched/pleasured romantically.

C: I feel violated, uneasy when I have sex or am touched by my husband.

1) No.  I am a woman, and I have needs and desires.  Although not as frequently, or quickly, as my husband.
2) My husband isn't only having sex with me for his pleasure.  It's for both of us to feel closer.